Monday 9 September 2013

Reaper Bones Eye Beast (aka D&D Beholder)





Now this one was a LOT of fun.

The Bones material (Bonesium) is great for miniatures, flexible, easy to work with, no need to prime and holds details really well.  And it especially shines when it comes to monsters.

I wanted my Eye Beast to look like the Eye of Flame variant Beholder from Dungeons & Dragons so started with a mid brown base with a wash of Reikland Fleshshade to bring the red tone up.  Over this I dry brushed a light khaki then washed with Agrax Earthshade. 

The Eyes started with a creamy off white with radial spikes of red brown pointing towards the pupil which was pure black then a wash of gloss varnish finished them off. I wanted the teeth to look really rank so they got several washes of dirty brown grading up to pure white at the tips.

One point I would make is that its much easier to paint the inside of the model if you take the two sections apart first.  Once the dark red gums and tongue were painted I reassembled it and painted the rest.  I wanted the tongue to look really human which I thought would make it look even more horrible and i'm pleased with how it worked out.

Overall it was loads of fun to paint and i'm really pleased with how it turned out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment