Saturday 21 September 2013

Reaper Bones Dragon Ebonwrath Part 4

 


 Finished!

Well, when I say finished...

They say no painting is ever finished, merely abandoned. So Abandoned!!

To be honest i'm happy with the final result but I think i've reached the current limits of my talent and patience.  Several things about this paint job aren't quite up to the level of my expectation but they never really are.

I had every intention of painting each scale individually but that was never realistically going to happen. As I said in the last post I laid down the base coats and washed with Nuln Oil for the scales and a brown wash over the tan areas like horns, inner wing membranes etc.  Then I moved on to that light drybrush for the highlights which worked ok but wasn't as light as I had intended.

I fixed that by going back with another layer of wash on the undersides of the dragon which did give th ecurved shadows and highlights I wanted.  The horns, teeth, talons etc all got a wash and a highlight but I probably should have spent more time on them.

The wing membranes, underbelly and the sails between the spine spikes came out darker than I wanted but I can live with that.

I tried out my new light tent to photograph the model for the first time mainly because my normal background wasn't nearly big enough, more experimentation is required as I think these came out a bit overexposed.  

Ebonwrath now takes pride of place in my display cabinet as you can see below.





3 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks fantastic! And the gold is so realistic. I am following your blog now.

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-paint-blog.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful work, a magical scenery!

    ReplyDelete